Date(s) - 30/08/2018 - 31/08/2018
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
This two-day online seminar will consider the value of communication before, during and after an incident. It will help PIOs identify critical audiences, both internal and external.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
At the end of this seminar, participants will be able to:
- Explain why emergency public information is important during an incident.
- Recognize the functional needs and challenges of different audiences.
- Demonstrate the role and function of the PIO in both day-to-day and emergency environments.
- Compare actions PIOs can take to work with the news media during day-to-day and emergency situations.
- Understand the strategic communications planning model, public awareness campaigns, and incident communications strategy.
- Explain the news briefing cycle.
- Outline media needs at the scene.
- Describe the difference between media briefings and press conferences.
- Describe different public information written products.
- Apply effective news release writing guidance.
- Adapt or repurpose written media products for other purposes.
- Describe what types of impressions specific body language might convey during an interview.
- Identify elements of an interview the PIO should consider ahead of time.
- Identify steps a PIO needs to take to prepare for and conduct a news interview.
- Demonstrate effective techniques for on-camera interviews.
- Given an emergency scenario, apply public information skills.
- Recall course key points.
WHO SHOULD REGISTER
The primary audience for this training is individuals who have public information responsibilities as their main job or as an auxiliary function at the Federal, Provincial, or Municipal level of government, and in the private or NGO sectors.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST
We are currently offering this seminar on special for only $199 + GST (Regularly $299 + GST) and if you register for any of the advanced level PIO courses you’ll also receive 10% off the registration fee for that course (a code is provided at the completion of Level One)
WHEN DOES IT RUN
Thursday, August 30, 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Friday, August 31, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
**This is an online seminar, all other levels are in-person and level one is mandatory in order to take other levels**
WHAT ARE PEOPLE SAYING ABOUT OUR TRAINING
“This was an excellent conference, and I wish I could have brought more of our team. The sessions were well themed and useful. Thank you!”
“This was by far the best communications conference I have ever attended. Everything was timely for issues facing our community and I can’t wait to come back again.”
“It was a well-organized conference and I really enjoyed it. I especially appreciated how there was no ‘fluff’. Instead, we got right down to business and straight to the relevant information that I came to learn. Excellent work.”